<< I have always dreamt of producing a wine perfectly harmonic like this>> says Donatella Cinelli Colombini presenting us with the Brunello 2012 to which she has wanted to give her name IOsonoDONATELLA >>a unique wine with silky tannins and an inebriating aroma of small ripe red berries. A potent wine that will last for decades, but also very pleasant for those who decide to drink it today>>.
Only 600 bottles made exclusively in the best vintages.
IOsonoDONATELLA is a masterpiece, something rare and exclusive, where the Tuscan wine producer has included her dreams and her history. It is made on the northern slope of Montalcino, from the grapes of a small vineyard called Ardita, in a splendid sunny area. Here in the Casato Prime Donne winery it has aged for nearly three years in 5-7 hl oak casks, these are handmade by 4 French artisan workshops. The barrels containing this Brunello have red ceramic hearts on them so that everybody, especially the cellar staff, cosset them and so that there is no mixing with wine from the other barrels. Before going into bottle the wine stayed six months in a bare concrete egg shaped vat to oxygenate and get even more velvety. A small touch of elegance but also a return to the past and to old Tuscan traditions going back at least 500 years.
The packaging of IOsonoDONATELLA tells the personal story of Donatella Cinelli Colombini. The glass bottle is covered with stars that shine in the light, and in the centre, they become a ring with inside a gold coat of arms. Donatella as a young woman studied medieval jewellery and also stamps inserted in rings. In the splendid box the contains the bottle and opens like a flower, there are many references to local history, the pattern on the outside represents in fact Pienza cloth, an old material with small diamond shapes that is well visible in the Maestà (1311) by Duccio di Buoninsegna,.
- Type: dry red.
- Production area: Tuscany, Montalcino, Casato Prime Donne.
- Vintage characteristics: Winter cold, snowy but dry. From June the hot period began, with no rainfall that lasted until the beginning of September. During the harvest the temperatures were low and the nights were cold.. The frequent hoeing lessened the hydro stress of the vines and reduced grape production, both in number of clusters and in dimension, these permitted a regular and complete ripening of the grapes.
- Grape type: 100% Sangiovese
- Grape harvest: From September 12th to 15th . The grapes were chosen and handpicked and carefully chosen in the vineyard and in the cellar. The grape clusters were small, loose, with small berries and perfectly lignified grape seeds.
- Vinification: In truncated cone vats open on top in with plunger for punching the cap. The vinification lasted 20 days and was followed by maceration with the must always in contact with the skins for another ten days.
- Ageing: In 5-7 hl tonneaux . These small containers are made, with oak from France, cut following the natural wood line. The tonneaux come from 4 small artisan workshops, in some the staves are bent with vapour and in others with fire, in some the charring is obtained with embers, in others with flames. These diversities are useful to increase the complexity of the wine. On some of the wine form these small barrels will be used for IOsonoDONATELLA.
- Quantity produced: 600 bottles.
- Colour: bright ruby red, the richness of the wine is evident in the slowness with which it rotates in the glass .
- Aroma: of great finesse, deep and complex. With evident hints of ripe red fruits and spices.
- Taste: very fine, silky, and well balanced. It reveals its structure with its intensity and persistence. With a finale that lasts at length in the mouth.
- Alcohol: 14% vol
- Matching dishes: important meat dishes and aged cheeses.
- Way of serving: Room temperature (18°C). Use balloon shaped crystal wine goblets. Open at least one hour before serving, better still using a decanter.
- Home ageing: 20-30 years and more. Keep the bottles lying down in a dark and cool place. Have the corks changed in Donatella Cinelli Colombini’s winery, where the procedure is certified, 20 years after bottling.