Four days in the most well-preserved Tuscan countryside famous for its panoramas and great red wines for aging: Montalcino, Valdorcia and the Crete Senesi
Easter 2022 at Fattoria del Colle
A long Easter weekend – from Good Friday to Easter Monday – to regenerate in nature, immerse yourself in landscapes of extraordinary beauty, go trekking among BIO-organic crops, learn traditional Tuscan recipes, visit Brunello and Orcia Doc wineries, taste great wines and maybe discover their lesser-known stories, indulge in some gluttony with pinci in nana sauce, Chianina Florentine beef or Easter flatbreads…. Accompanying them with important bottles.
The Fattoria del Colle is a small hamlet built in 1592 and remained intact for centuries. The apartments and rooms for tourists are housed in the old farmhouses and maintain the intimacy of authentic places thanks to local antiques. There is a restaurant, a banquet hall, a cooking school, an area for natural well-being, four trekking routes, a photographic safari, 3 equipped parks and, of course, the cellar (Chianti Superiore, Orcia and Superuscan) where the grapes from the estate vineyards arrive. A small world where agriculture is BIO-organic and where the traditional Tuscan wild herbs grown in the farm’s vegetable garden arrive on the table.
For wine lovers an exclusive experience: vertical tasting of 6 vintages from the barrel to the Brunello Riserva in the Casato Prime Donne winery in Montalcino.
For wellness lovers, wine therapy and massages in the natural wellness area
Art lovers can visit, within 35 km, some extraordinary cities of art: Pienza, San Quirico – Bagno Vignoni, Montalcino, Cortona, Montepulciano … At 50 km Siena, Gothic capital and, in Umbria, Lake Trasimeno, Perugia and Assisi.
4-legged friends are welcome and in case of need they can find kennels, bowls and food
- 4 days – 3 nights Euro 254.00 per person in a double room with bathroom
- 4 days – 3 nights Euro 245.00 per person in an apartment * for 4 or 6 people
* Daily cleaning is not included in the price of the apartment, but can be requested at a cost of € 8.00 per person per day
THE PRICE INCLUDES
- Overnight stay in a double room or apartment
- Buffet breakfast with homemade cakes and biscuits, cold cuts and cheese, omelette and dips, hot drinks
- A 4-course tasting dinner of traditional and creative cuisine (drinks not included)
- Use of parks and trekking routes
- Guided tour of Fattoria del Colle with itinerant tasting of 3 wines and 3 extra virgin olive oils
- Visit of the Fattoria del Colle winery and photographic safari
- Guided tour of the Casato Prime Donne winery in Montalcino with wine and music tasting experience including the barrel cellar and the new fermentation area with itinerant tasting of 4 wines including Brunello
- Cooking lesson on Sienese desserts – meringues, ossi di morto biscuits and whipped ricotta
15th APRIL GOOD FRIDAY
Reception and accommodation in the rooms or in the wine resort apartments
- 7.00 pm Aperitif in the Barn room at Fattoria del Colle from which it is possible to enjoy a spectacular view over the village of Trequanda. Toast accompanied by the Valdichiana savoury Easter flatbread
- 8.00 pm Dinner on the veranda of the Osteria overlooking the village of Trequanda. A la carte dinner. We recommend tasting the pinci all’aglione (giant garlic grown in Valdorcia and Valdichiana) the cod alla fratina typical of Trequanda
- Overnight stay
APRIL 16th HOLY SATURDAY
- 8.30 – 10.00 am In the Fattoria restaurant. Buffet breakfast with homemade cakes, cold cuts, cheeses, dips, omelettes and hot drinks
- *** We suggest a visit to the historic centre of Montalcino and to the fourteenth-century fortress that dominates the medieval town and offers a spectacular view of the Brunello territory. 10 km from Montalcino is the Abbey of Sant’Antimo, a real Romanesque jewel.
- 3.30 pm Casato Prime Donne di Montalcino (to be reached with your own car) Wine and music experience; guided tour with itinerant tasting of 4 wines Chianti Superiore, Rosso di Montalcino, Brunello and Passito accompanied by the music chosen by the musician sommelier Igor Vazzaz. The path through the barrel cellar and the fermentation area allows you to discover the secrets of the wine and the history of the places. In addition to the small and large oak barrels, where the Brunello matures for over two years acquiring finesse and complexity, there are also paintings on the history of Montalcino. The itinerary includes the fermentation hall with truncated conical concrete vats on which paintings by the painter Roberto Turchi and photos of Montalcino are projected while local sounds, music and songs are heard. Overall, it is a unique experience different from any other and capable of thrilling even the most experienced wine lovers
- 16.30 (for a fee € 36.00 per person instead of 48.00) For wine lovers, the experience continues with the tasting of 6 Brunello or future Brunello: barrel tasting of the 2021 and 2020 harvests from the barrel. Guided tasting of the 2017 Brunello in the two versions and of the 2015 and 2016 Riserva, both five-star vintages. The tasting allows you to understand the evolution of a great red wine destined for long aging.
- 8.00 pm Dinner in the Fattoria del Colle restaurant. A 4-course menu of traditional and creative cuisine (drinks not included). The pappardelle typical fresh Sienese very thick pasta will be served with Sugo bugiardo based on pork. The Peposo, typical Renaissance recipe of the terracotta artisans and therefore of Impruneta and Trequanda. Its invention is legendarily attributed to the famous architect Filippo Brunelleschi. Euro 40.00 per person, drinks not included
- Overnight stay
APRIL 17th EASTER SUNDAY
- 8.30 – 10.00am Buffet breakfast with homemade desserts, cold cuts, cheeses, dips, omelettes and hot drinks
- 10.00 a brief cooking lesson regarding Easter biscuits from the Sienese countryside: ossi di morto, sospiri meringues, and whipped ricotta
- 11.00 am (leave 20 minutes earlier using your own car) Holy Mass with Gregorian chants, Abbey of Monte Oliveto Maggiore 12 km from the Fattoria del Colle founded in 1313 by San Bernardo Tolomei. The most interesting artistic testimony is the cycle of frescoes on the life of San Benedetto da Norcia, painted in the large Cloister by Luca Signorelli and Giovanni Bazzi known as Sodoma. Visits from 9.30am to 12.00 midday and from 15.30 to 18.00.
- 1.00 pm Easter lunch (menu displayed at the reception)
- *** We suggest a visit to San Quirico d’Orcia jewel of art along the Via Francigena (Collegiata, Palazzo Chigi, Horti Leonini) and Bagno Vignoni which preserves the large pool in which Santa Caterina and Lorenzo the Magnificent bathed. Right next to the tub is the ToscanaLovers shop which sells the best of Tuscan craftsmanship.
- 5.30 pm guided tour of Fattoria del Colle with itinerant tasting of three wines (Leone Rosso Orcia Doc, IGT Il Drago e le 8 Colombe and Cenerentola Orcia Doc) and 3 types of extra virgin olive oil. Departing from the farm courtyard, the itinerary includes two historic rooms of the villa, the sixteenth-century chapel, the Italian garden and the vegetable garden with ancient essences
- 8.00 pm Dinner of the peasant soups in the Osteria di Donatella, guests will find 2 soups of the farming tradition: the Trequandina bread soup with ham and Pappa col pomodoro. Almost a discovery of local traditions. This is followed by the Tagliata of Chianina beef. It is a species of ox native to the Valdichiana that lives in the wild and is visible, with its white coat, on the surrounding hills. In Roman times, Chianina calves were used for religious rites (€ 35 excluding drinks).
18th APRIL EASTER MONDAY
- 8.30 – 10.00 am Restaurant at Fattoria del Colle. Buffet breakfast with homemade cakes, cold cuts, cheeses, dips, omelettes and hot drinks
- 11.00 am photographic safari and visit of the cellar. Departure from the courtyard of the farm. The guide will accompany guests to 6 locations for selfies and photos of breath-taking views. The itinerary includes a visit to the Chianti Superiore, Doc Orcia and Spertuscan cellar including the infernotti, the barrel cellar, the vinsantaia, the fermentation area and the new room that teaches how to “listen to the vineyards”. At the end, a farewell toast with the Spumante Rosé Metodo Classico created by Donatella Cinelli Colombini and just released on the market.
- 1pm brunch in the Fattoria restaurant. Spaghetti followed by a platter of cold cuts and cheeses and cake from the Sienese tradition (€ 25 excluding wine)